Wednesday, February 04, 2004

God is my blocker

Is Christianity bad for football players? Baptist Press quotes Kurt Warner speculating that his coashes wondered if this was the case:

"I actually had [Rams] coaches say I was reading the Bible too much and it was taking away from my play," he said. "It was OK when we were winning, but now I was [messing] this thing up? People were saying I had lost my job because of my faith.".

Fair enough, but Rush Limbaugh seems to be giving this mindset some creedence:

I'm thinking back to a radio station I worked at in Kansas City, where I had a mind-blowing conversation with a chief engineer.

He was very religious, and his philosophy of life was "blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." So this guy let people walk all over him. In fact, he took pride in it! He took pride in being taken advantage of and not seeking any advancement professionally. He literally thought that the more he was tromped on and trampled on, the greater his future looked.


Well, maybe he had a long term view of things.

I can think of many Christians who are not wimpy by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone who can look at the life of Christ and think of Him as "Gentle Jesus, meek and mild" is misreading the Bible.

I'm sure you can think of many tough as nails Christian football players and coaches. Vince "the will to win is the most important thing" Lombardi for one.

Perhaps this is my old journalistic cynicism popping up, but I would hate to be a born again Christian applying to work on Rush's radio show.