Sunday, December 22, 2002

Okay Warren Kinsella, I call

Warren Kinsella is
well known in Canada as a federal Liberal strategist and backroom boffin.
Why, I'm not sure, as my Report colleague Kevin Michael Grace has often
deftly deflated him in print.

Mr. Kinsella has started his own weblog. Here's the opening of an entry that
made me angry:

December 9, 2002 - I was in a good mood already, but this one made me
deliriously happy. Oh, bliss! As we were hustling our brood out the door to
church, my pal Charlie Angelakos called: "Oh, you're going to love this," he
giggled. "Ben Mulroney rips you in the Sunday Sun." I asked him to repeat
his message, so happy was I to receive it.

Ecstasy! Rapture! Oh, sweet Lord! I have been critiqued by plenty of media
maroons and morons in my day - Jan Wong (fired), Allan Fotheringham (fired
twice) - but can there be any better media critic than the progeny of the
Rt. Hon. Brian Mulroney? Can there? Thought I : "This one was going to be so
easy, it isn't even sporting."

To the mean-spirited, Benjy is a millionaire's son who grew up in the back
seat of limousine, and whose attractive head is remarkably uncluttered with
complexities. Receives his weekly Sun columns via fax from a secretary at
Ogilvy Renault's Montreal offices
, gushes over bored-looking B-grade
movie stars for CTV entertainment segments. That's our Ben.
.

I hold no brief for Ben Mulroney, but I do think he should be allowed to try
to make a career for himself.

And yet, there is a grave charge here if you can spot it, namely that Ben
Mulroney's columns are being ghost-written for him. As Mr. Kinsella should
know, accusing any journalist of taking full credit for the work of others
as their own is a smear on the journalist's character, unless you do have
evidence to that effect.

He goes on to write "I utterly reject all that," but in such a sarcastic way
that you know he doesn't mean his praise of Ben Mulroney.

Well okay, Mr. Kinsella, you've placed a rhetorical bet and I call. Perhaps I missed it, but I would like to
see your evidence that Ben Mulroney's columns are ghost written for him.