Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Ambient Music

Kevin Michael Grace seems to be listening to music all the time, as he often posts lyrics from songs he listens to.

This started me thinking about how people work to music. Ever since my college days I have found that I sometimes find English lyrics to be distracting when I am trying to intensely concentrate on something. Foreign languages don't seem to affect me the same way. So, when I am trying to write, I sometimes listen to classical music, opera, or big band music. (On my turntable for the time being: Glenn Miller: A Memorial).

Perhaps The Mozart Effect works on adults too. But how would other people then be able to successfully listen to music that is very distracting (such as punk, heavy rock, etc.) when they are trying to work? I guess that it all depends on what you become used to listening to when you are younger.